|St. Luke's, Lower Whitley
The church of St. Luke's is an ancient foundation of uncertain age, but is thought to have been rebuilt on an earlier site in the 16th century by a member of the Touchet family, who were local squires. It has a particularly fine roof with richly carved oak hammer beams.
In its graveyard lie the remains of members from 3 generations of Cobleys.
The lychgate is carved with the words "through the temporal to the eternal".
from Post Office Directory 1902
"The Church is a structure of brick consisting of chancel, with chapel, nave, west porch, and a turret containing two bells: all the windows are stained: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1777. The living is a viacarage, net yearly value £170, with 5 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Sir George Chetwode Bart. of Oakley Hall, Staffordshire, and held since 1902 by the Rev. Joseph Clare Trampleasure, of Trinity College, Dublin"