the cobley family history
burleydam, st mchael & st. mary's image
burleydam, st. michael & st.mary's
back to churches back to the front page
photo: mark cobley
St, Michael and St. Mary's, Burleydam, Cheshire

Built in 1769 by Sir Lynch Cotton it was the private chapel of the Cotton family until 1869. Formerly part of Acton and Audlem parishes it became a separate parish in 1869, the first vicar being the private chaplain to the Cottons, the Rev. Thomas Meredyth

Restoration took place in 1886 when the chancel, vestry and organ chamber were added, as was a new entrance and porch. In 1992 the belfry was deemed to be unsafe and so was removed.

It is interesting to see in the parish registers the number of the Parker family who were baptised here, weddings being undertaken at Wrenbury.
Earliest Parker event:

Edward Parker baptised 11 July 1851