the cobley family history
bruntingthorpe, st mary's image
back to churches
St. Mary's, (formerly St.Nicholas), Bruntingthorpe, Leicestershire

Is a parish and village distant 5 miles from Lutterworth, and 10 from Leicester, in the south division of the country, hundred of Guthlaxton, union and county court district of Lutterworth, diocese of peterborough, archdeaconry of Leicester, and rural deanery of Guthlaxton. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas*. The living is a rectory, annual value £400 with residence. The Rev. F. H. Bridges is the rector. The Baptists have two chapels here. There is a national school for boys and girls, Samuel Spicer master. The parish contains 1215 acres of land, of which chief owners are H. Clarke (lord of the manor), N. C. Curzon, Esq., and others. The population is about 450.

* The Post Office Directory 1876 says:

The church of St. Mary is in the Gothic style, and consists of a chancel, nave, aisles, with a square embattled tower with 3 bells, and crowned with pinnacles: the interior was restored in 1848, principally at the cost of the rector. The register dates from the year 1572. The living is a rectory, yearly value £400 in the gift of Phillip Pleydell Bouverie, esq. and held by the Rev. Philip Deedes, M.A. of Lincon College, Oxford.

POSTAL REGULATIONS - J. Groocock sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 9.15 a.m. are dispatched at 4p.m. The nearest money-order office and post-town, Lutterworth. Carriers to Leicester and Lutterworth, J. Hunt and Mary Higgs.

Bridges Rev. Fred. H. Rector, The rectory
Clark Henry, Esq., Manor house
Flude Mrs Elizabeth
Worthington Richard, Esq., Bruntingthorpe house

GENERAL TRADERS, &c.

Archer William, Grocer
Broadwell Benjamin, machine owner
Frost Alfred, Plough inn, and boot and shoemaker

Gutteridge Alfred, baker
Harding George, butcher
Herbert Benjamin, Joiners' Arms, and carpenter
Herbert William, builder
Higgs Mrs Mary, shopkeeper
Higgs Thomas, machine owner
Kilworth John, blacksmith
Moore Edward, tailor
Moore Thomas, tailor
Robinson Alfred, carriage builder
Smith Charles, grocer
Sturgess george, veterinary surgeon
Thompson George, wheelwright and carpenter
Worthy, Mrs A. M. beer retailer
FARMERS

Brown William, the Lodge
Darnell John Thomas
Elliott Miss Mary Ann, and grazier
Herbert William
Higgs William
Mawson Thomas
Parsons George, holt farm
Scothern Thomas
Tolton William and grazier
Wicks John B.
Wright John Black.


Earliest Cobley event:

William Cobley (3)
married Mary Ann Laundon, 10 October 1852